Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 07:17 PM

The truth comes out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
More like the blind squirrel bought a nut, with our money.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yahooooo!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you did not notice, that is how Canada became different from the one you knew when you were growing up.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Or he could have just let it get built in the first place so it didn’t take so long and be so far over budget and maybe not waist a bunch of tax payer money.
They turned it into a financial disaster just like everything else they have touched!
Yup a Six million dollar pipeline (paid for by the oil company) turned into how many BILLIONS? (payed for by the tax payers, you and me). But it is OK cause the guy who probably has never ever, balanced a cheque book said so. Also find it interesting that all the FN protester's and their ilk somehow were a no show once the Lieberals got involved. Now I hear they are trying to sell the pipeline? Follow the money and you will know which of the Lieberals and their back room buddies got rich on your dime.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:56 PM

One guy on my work crew was working the spread from Edmonton to Hinton. As soon as the govt bought the pipeline the foreman’s told them to milk it for everything they could and that’s where a good chunk of the cost overrun went.

Work immediately went from get it done quick to get it done as long as possible.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
One guy on my work crew was working the spread from Edmonton to Hinton. As soon as the govt bought the pipeline the foreman’s told them to milk it for everything they could and that’s where a good chunk of the cost overrun went.

Work immediately went from get it done quick to get it done as long as possible.
I worked on both trans mountain around Jasper and the LNG line around kitimat. Trans mountain was a vacation.
Old 05-02-2024, 06:36 AM

Quote:
More like the blind squirrel bought a nut, with our money.
What other money would he use? In the end, it is a good thing for Alberta and new markets other than bending over for the States and selling at a discount. Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and hatred and look at things objectively. It was a good thing that the Feds supported this and in the end we will see that big time. Especially with the war in Ukraine and Russian oil dropping. Perfect timing for higher oil prices and we can ship overseas. Gonna be another big boom for Alberta. Take the win and say "thanks".
Old 05-02-2024, 06:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

exactly, you see this al the time even at the lower levels too, had a storm come through many years ago, roof, fence etc so I got a company to asses the damage and give me a quote, they did but then I said it was a claim through SGI well it almost doubled and yup they milked it....awesome work though.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-02-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post
Hey! Give credit where it is due. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then
There is no squirrel, just a blind nut.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:08 AM

Kline wrote a solid article in National Post about this, nails all the important bits.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/lib...ialist-success

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-02-2024, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
exactly, you see this al the time even at the lower levels too, had a storm come through many years ago, roof, fence etc so I got a company to asses the damage and give me a quote, they did but then I said it was a claim through SGI well it almost doubled and yup they milked it....awesome work though.
And that is why the federal government can't operate the pipeline to make a profit for Canadians. It will end up operating at a loss, paid for by the taxpayers.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
What other money would he use? In the end, it is a good thing for Alberta and new markets other than bending over for the States and selling at a discount. Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and hatred and look at things objectively. It was a good thing that the Feds supported this and in the end we will see that big time. Especially with the war in Ukraine and Russian oil dropping. Perfect timing for higher oil prices and we can ship overseas. Gonna be another big boom for Alberta. Take the win and say "thanks".
A private company would have operated the pipeline at a profit, with no cost to the taxpayers. And the private company would have paid income taxes to the Canadian government, as well as each employee paying income tax, which would have benefitted Canadians. We pay the salaries of everyone working for the government , so
Instead of a profit, every employee is a net loss. So in the end, Canadians will lose money with a corrupt ,incompetent government running the pipeline.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Sigh. Why does the pipeline need to be sold? Why not keep it under crown corp so our future generations can enjoy prosperity? Instead, we’re going to sell it to the private sector corp at a likely $10-15,000,000,000 write down. Some estimated say after interest+debt repayments it’ll likely churn a profit for years to come.

Of course, Canadian taxpayers don’t deserve to reap the benefits of publicly paid for infrastructure, only shareholders (or worse, foreign private equity). I mean christ, it’s a pipeline, even if the operates it rather inefficiently, as long as the line maintains solid uptime it’s all negligible given the revenue it can produce.
Look for TC Energy's spinoff South Bow Resources to make a run at TMX to buy. Likely JV with indigenous groups in doing so.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
A private company would have operated the pipeline at a profit, with no cost to the taxpayers. And the private company would have paid income taxes to the Canadian government, as well as each employee paying income tax, which would have benefitted Canadians. We pay the salaries of everyone working for the government , so
Instead of a profit, every employee is a net loss. So in the end, Canadians will lose money with a corrupt ,incompetent government running the pipeline.
You forgot that the pipeline would have been completed 4 years earlier allowing AB to be exporting for 4 years already not just a week or three ago.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
You forgot that the pipeline would have been completed 4 years earlier allowing AB to be exporting for 4 years already not just a week or three ago.
And let's not forget the extra construction costs incurred due to that delay. All in all, the Canadian taxpayers have already lost billions in lost earning and in money spent.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:35 AM

Quote:
And let's not forget the extra construction costs incurred due to that delay. All in all, the Canadian taxpayers have already lost billions in lost earning and in money spent.
Just wait until they sell this 34 billion dollar boondoggle to a first nation consortium for 7 million.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Just wait until they sell this 34 billion dollar boondoggle to a first nation consortium for 7 million.
And the government gives the consortium the money.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Who should I say "thanks" to? The government that killed the project, so he could buy it above market value to be the savior while trying to buy votes? He spent more money than it was worth to avoid lawsuits, drove other investment out of the country, spent much more than necessary to build, which in turn hurts my wallet a lot more than it helps. This boondoggle will likely never be a net positive to the average tax payer due to the harm it has done to investment and taxes as a whole. This isn't a win. This is a mitigated loss. Better than not having, but not worth the cost.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
Who should I say "thanks" to? The government that killed the project, so he could buy it above market value to be the savior while trying to buy votes? He spent more money than it was worth to avoid lawsuits, drove other investment out of the country, spent much more than necessary to build, which in turn hurts my wallet a lot more than it helps. This boondoggle will likely never be a net positive to the average tax payer due to the harm it has done to investment and taxes as a whole. This isn't a win. This is a mitigated loss. Better than not having, but not worth the cost.
Exactly.

Turd could start craping gold nuggets and he wouldn't get my support.

More markets for Alberta, more revenue for Alberta, larger transfer payments to Quearbec.

BW